Recipes And Photos By Sonja And Alex Overhiser
Perfect Pizza Dough
(Makes 1 pizza)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1/4 tbsp olive oil
A pinch of kosher salt
2/3 cup warm water
A pinch of cornmeal
1. Combine ingredients in a stand mixer, saving a little water.
2. Stir until loose dough forms. If it’s too dry, add extra water; if it’s too sticky, add a pinch of flour.
3. Start the mixer low, gradually increasing to medium speed until a ball forms, about 30 seconds, then allow it to knead for eight minutes at me – dium-high.
4. Using floured hands, mould dough into a boule-shape. Set on a floured surface and dab with a little olive oil.
5. Cover with a damp towel and leave to rise, about 45 minutes to one hour.
6. After the dough has risen, shape it into a circle. Drape the dough over your knuckles and rotate, allowing gravity to stretch it.
This recipe offers everything you love about a slice of ‘za without the pesky bad-for-you fats and calories you hate.
Nutritional Information (per slice)
Protein: 10 g
Carbs: 29 g
Fat: 7 g
(Makes 8 slices)
1 pizza dough
1/2 cup crushed San Marzano tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 cup shredded Gouda cheese
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and finely diced
1/2 red onion, sliced
1/2 green pepper (optional), chopped
A handful of corn, frozen or fresh Kosher salt
1. Prepare the pizza dough using the recipe above. Place your pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F.
2. When the oven is ready, stretch the dough into a circle. Pull the pizza stone from the oven and carefully place the dough on it.
3. Thinly spread some of the crushed tomatoes over the dough, then add diced garlic, sprinkle liberally with Cajun seasoning, and top with Gouda, mozzarella cheese, red onion, jalapeño, corn, and green pepper (if using). Finish it off with a dash of kosher salt.
4. Transfer the pizza to the oven, and bake until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about five to seven minutes.
Bonus tip: Filled with calcium, amino acids, B12, and zinc, the Gouda on this pizza packs a delicious flavour and a power health-boosting punch!