Recipes And Photos Provided By Whole Foods Market
Nutritional Information (per serving)
Protein: 17 g
Carbs: 61 g
Fat: 2.5 g
1 1/2 cups brown lentils, rinsed
1 yellow onion, diced (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 6-oz can no salt added tomato paste
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cups water
6 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 15-oz can no salt added crushed tomatoes
8 whole-wheat hamburger buns
1. Add lentils to a small pot, cover with two inches of water, and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce to a simmer, cooking until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the onion and bell pepper.
4. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is golden brown, about five minutes.
5. Add chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne, and tomato paste.
6. Cook and stir for about two minutes, then add vinegar. Add water, garlic, apricots, and crushed tomatoes.
7. Reduce heat to medium-low and let sauce simmer until it thickens, at least 30 minutes.
8. When lentils are cooked, drain excess liquid and add them to the sauce. Mash lentils using a wooden spoon.
9. Toast hamburger buns in the oven, if desired. Ladle one cup of the lentil mixture onto each toasted bun and serve.