Perfect Pizza Dough
(Makes 1 pizza)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1/4 tbsp olive oil
A pinch of kosher salt
2/3 cup warm water
A pinch of cornmeal
1. Combine ingredients in a stand mixer, saving a little water.
2. Stir until loose dough forms. If it’s too dry, add extra water; if it’s too sticky, add a pinch of flour.
3. Start the mixer low, gradually increasing to medium speed until a ball forms, about 30 seconds, then allow it to knead for eight minutes at me – dium-high.
4. Using floured hands, mould dough into a boule-shape. Set on a floured surface and dab with a little olive oil.
5. Cover with a damp towel and leave to rise, about 45 minutes to one hour.
6. After the dough has risen, shape it into a circle. Drape the dough over your knuckles and rotate, allowing gravity to stretch it.
Nutritional Information (per slice)
Protein: 10 g
Carbs: 7 g
Fat: 9 g
(Makes 16 slices)
2 pizza doughs
1/2 can no-fat refried black beans
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño pepper (or more to taste), thinly sliced
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cup frozen corn
2 cups Mexican cheese blend (or a mix of Monterey Jack and cheddar)
1. Prepare the pizza dough. Place your pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500°F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the refried black beans with a bit of water so they are more spreadable. Combine with spices, then separate into two portions.
3. When the oven is ready, shape both dough balls into 10-inch rounds.
4. Pull the pizza stone out of the oven and carefully place one pizza on it, then quickly add the toppings.
5. Spread one portion of bean mixture in a thin layer over the dough; sprinkle with half of the cheese and vegetables.
6. Sprinkle with kosher salt and, if desired, brush a little olive oil on the crust to help it brown.
7. Transfer the pizza to the oven, and bake until the cheese and crust are nicely browned, about five to seven minutes. Repeat with second pizza.