Spice up your next Taco Tuesday with this protein-packed dinner favourite
Tacos are a simple weeknight meal that you can throw together in no time, but they quickly lose their nutritional value when you start loading on the extras like cheese and sour cream. This version of the spicy Mexican treat is full of flavour without packing on the pounds.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb lean ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup low-sodium chicken stock
4 corn tortillas
1 cup canned red kidney beans, rinsed
1 cup cooked corn kernels
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1) Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and onion; cook and stir until fragrant.
2) Add turkey and cook, breaking up chunks with a wooden spoon, until meat is cooked through, about three to four minutes.
3) Stir in chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper and cook for one minute.
4) Pour in broth and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
5) Divide the meat mixture among the tortillas and top with beans, corn, and cilantro.
TIP: If you want to lower your carb intake and cut some calories, try substituting the taco shell for a large lettuce leaf.
29 g protein
35 g carbs
13 g fat